Recent Posts

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Dreamsicle Cupcakes

It has taken me so long to write this post that I honestly can not remember why I decided to make these particular cupcakes. Maybe I am blocking out the reason for making these cupcakes because they were a total failure. In my opinion, they were yucky!

The worst part about this for me was that it was a Martha Stewart recipe. Come on Martha, what's the deal? Both the cake and the cupcake called for a lot of orange zest, more than I would have thought would taste good, so that was part of the problem. the second issue was that the cupcake bottom had the consistency of cornbread rather than cupcake. And thirdly, against my better judgment, I strayed from my favorite buttercream icing and tried a Italian buttercream cooked on the stove top and then once cooled the flavors are added. The Italian buttercream was super soft and kind of ran off the sides of the cupcake and had a weird almost gritty texture (the zest?). Overall yuck!

Oh, it did have one shining moment. I had candied some orange pieces for garnish (more for taking a good cupcake picture than for eating) and they turned out fabulous. Even better than the candied grapefruit I did in a previous post. The candied oranges were so good that the hubby and guests discarded their cupcakes and stood at the counter picking off the candied pieces of the other cupcakes and ate them instead.

Overall rating: 1 out of 5

1 comments:

Unknown said...

the candy orange looks great....sorry they didnt' turn out....i don't use to much of martha's reciepes although do look at her ideas and figure out how to make it my way.

Post a Comment