Recent Posts

Monday, April 19, 2010

Strawberries & Champagne

Week 2.5: Making Things Taste Good

This week I had a second opportunity to make something new that might taste good. Morgan and I hosted "Girls Night" at our house on Sunday. I meet up with a great bunch of girls about once a month to hang out, catch up with each other and share a laugh along with some great food. Up until this last Sunday, we had tried eating at a myriad of different restaurants ranging from Azteca to Palomino. On Sunday, eight lovely ladies came over to our place for dinner. They played swords with Austin in the backyard, witnessed that little Anna does actually have enough hair for ponytails, chatted and laughed about our high school fashion trends and hair styles, and ate a fabulous meal made by the best husband ever...mine. We had braised pork shoulder with pears and thyme, wild rice, and roasted cauliflower. It was delicious.

But, I was the most happy with how my attempt to make something that tastes good turned out. I was still thinking about what dessert I would serve at Girl's Night when Anna and I were standing in line at the Fred Meyer earlier this week. We had two items in our cart, but the two carts in front of us looked like the may have had the Garden Center's entire stock of primroses in their carts. I knew I had a few minutes to spare and picked up a Better Homes and Gardens magazine. I flipped to the middle and the cake on the page was pretty and pink. It was perfect. I scanned the recipe and it was so easy.

So, I made a Strawberries & Champagne Cake. It was light and fluffy and the cake actually did taste like champagne. The pink whipped frosting with strawberries on the side made it pretty and perfect for Springtime or for Girl's Night Out. This cake would also be perfect for a bridal shower or Mother's Day. It definitely has a celebration kind of taste.

I know that this cake was a hit because between the eight of us girls and Morgan there was only the tiniest slice left at the end of the night, and my friend who tend to not like sweets (it's just not her preference) had a second piece!... Victory!

Overall decision: 9.5 out of 10
the only reason you would not like this cake is if you do not like the taste of champagne.

This picture doesn't really do the cake justice.



Recipe
I bought a boxed white cake and followed the instructions on the back. The only change you should make is exchanging champagne for the exact amount of water used in the recipe. While the cake was baking, I took store bought vanilla frosting and added the pink color to it while whipping the frosting with the electric mixer. After the cooled I frosted between the layers and layered sliced strawberries on top, laid the second layer on top and frosted the side and top with remaining frosting. When we served the cake, we put a whole strawberry on the side for garnish.

Easiest. Recipe. Ever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment