Recent Posts

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes

I decided on red velvet cupcakes because honestly, I can't figure out what the big deal is all about. I understand that it is a southern tradition. I understand that it does look pretty and can be kind of a specialty or something you can't get all of the time. I understand that it is supposed to be a feathery and delicate cake topped with a sweet-but-not-too-sweet cream cheese frosting. I understand that it is supposed to be out of this world. But really, it is still just a cupcake. And that's coming from me, someone who often dreams cake and cupcakes.

This time I really did my homework when picking out a recipe. I picked through ingredient lists and read so many reviews that I couldn't remember this way or that. I settled on a recipe that looked promising and went for it.

This cupcake was definately red velvet. It was light and fluffy and had an intense red color. The chocolate flavor was mild but had a nice tone to it that went well with the cream cheese frosting which turned out perfect, not too sweet and not too tangy.

However, I have to admit, I still don't think I'm sold on the trend. it is a good cupcake, but most are. It is a perfect choice for a holiday treat like Valentine's day, no contest. But the best cupcake ever...I challenge someone to convince me. :)

Overall Rating 4 out of 5
Darn good cupcake!

0 comments:

Post a Comment