Recent Posts

Monday, May 24, 2010

Grapefruit Cupcakes

Week 5.5

This week I actually made two cupcakes, on the same day...and yes, I was crazy because each of the recipes had multiple set and/or parts. So, in addition to the salted Caramel Cupcakes, I also made Grapefruit Cupcakes.

Now, I am not a fan of grapefruit...at all. But we have just started getting a box of fresh produce delivered to the house every other week, and this week's box had 3 grapefruits in it. All of us tried the first fresh grapefruit, and none of us, especially the kids, particularly liked it. Anna has more than a handful of words, but I think this was the moment I heard her say "yuck" for the first time. So, while looking for a recipe this week, I came across a Grapefruit Cupcake...and having two grapefruits already in the fridge I figured now was as good a time as any to try out the recipe. I just couldn't see myself picking out and making this recipe otherwise.

Again, I love trying new things and I not only made a delicious buttermilk cupcake bottom and tried a new vanilla buttercream recipe, but also learned to make grapefruit curd and candied grapefruit.

The grapefruit curd was quite easy. Just beat a few ingredients in a bowl for awhile and then put in the fridge to set. And the candied grapefruit, while time intensive, was not difficult.

The whole cupcake put together called for using a melon baller to remove the center of the buttermilk cupcake bottom, fill the hole with the grapefruit curd, pipe a bit of the vanilla buttercream right into the middle of the curd and finish it off with a piece of candied grapefruit for garnish.

This turned out very sweet and tangy. It definitely tasted of grapefruit, but was not overwhelming. I truly believe that you either like grapefruit or you don't. It is the same for these cupcakes. Although they were very bright and pretty, I personally was not a fan. Especially for all the work I had to do. I wouldn't make them again, but I'm glad I did this week because I got to learn to make curd and candied fruit.

Overall Rating: 2.5 out of 5
You either like them or you don't.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

they look very pretty....and i do like grapefruit....they would be good at a afternoon tea....
j

Post a Comment